Meet the Olson Construction Law Team
At Olson Construction Law, we believe that a team-based approach is the key to handling challenging contract issues in a cost-effective manner.
Throughout the various stages of each project, you’ll have the experience of working with the firm’s founder, Tom Olson, as well as with part – or all – of the team of talented associates, law clerks and support staff at Olson Construction Law.
Tom Olson, Partner
Tom is the founding partner of Olson Construction Law. His vision, commitment and energy have provided important leadership both to his firm and to his clients.
Tom serves as a mentor to both contractors and attorneys. Contractors seek counsel from Tom for his sharp understanding of construction issues, and for his genuine commitment to their business and personal success. Attorneys seek Tom’s counsel to learn from his keen legal mind and his pragmatic approach to solving “legal” problems. You can count on Tom’s honesty and his integrity in everything he does.Read more
- Knowledge of Construction: Tom has advised contractors and sureties in construction for over twenty-five years on issues spanning most areas of underground, highway and vertical construction.
- Proactive Solutions: Tom regularly assists public contractors to secure extra payment and time extensions on city, county, state and federal projects through cooperation, not confrontation.
- Technical Knowledge: Clients use Tom’s understanding of construction for more than legal advice. For example, Tom has assisted clients prepare, revise and update construction schedules (both CPM and bar chart).
- Trial Experience: Tom has trial experience before arbitration panels, state and federal courts, and federal contracting boards.
- Appellate Experience: Tom has argued appeals before the multiple state and federal appellate courts.
- Lien and Bond: Tom prepared an analysis of lien and bond laws for every state within the United States.
- DOT Specifications: Tom prepared an analysis of DOT specifications for every state within the United States. Tom regularly assists contractors, lawyers, engineers and public owners interpret DOT specifications. Furthermore, Tom continues to consult with construction associations, DOTs and federal highway representatives regarding better ways to prepare DOT specifications to avoid future disputes.
- Effective: Tom has successfully challenged the assessment of liquidated damages for many clients.
Speeches, Articles, and Accolades
- 2018 – NASTT No-Dig Show: “Differing Site Conditions are Here To Stay: A Roadmap to Change” (Speech and Whitepaper)
- 2018 – NUCA Annual Conference Legal Panel: “Geotechnical Essentials for the Trenchless & Open Cut Pro”
- 2018 – AGC of Nebraska Annual Convention Speech: “Design-Build Contracts: Rights, Responsibilities & Trends”
- 2017 – Concrete Paving Association of Minnesota Speech: “Why Random Cracking and Related Performance Problems Should Not Be the Contractor’s Responsibility”
- 2017 – NUCA Fall Leadership Conference Speech: “Why Highway Heavy and Vertical Projects Fail from the Bottom Up…the Missing Design Analysis”
- 2017 – ASCE Annual Convention Speech: “Managing Project Risks and Design Claims Avoidance: A Construction Attorney’s Perspective”
- 2017 – ACPA International Conference on Highway Pavements and Airfield Technology Speech: “Legal Case Study on Whitetopping Projects”
- 2017 – AGC of Nebraska Annual Convention Speech: “What Contractors Need to Know About Public Construction Requirements”
- 2016 – AGC of North Dakota Annual Convention Speech: “Design Defects and Unanticipated Site Conditions”
- 2016 – American Concrete Pavement Association (ACPA) Annual Convention Speech: “Smoothness Testing and Other Concrete Issues”
- 2016 – NUCA Fall Leadership Conference Speech: “Ten Issues Which Utility Contractors Need to Understand”
- 2016 – Associate of the Year Award from NUCA (National Utility Contractors Association)
- 2016 – Author of NUCA’s National Trenchless Construction Manual‘s chapter on “Legal Rights and Obligations of Engineers and Contractors”
- 2016 – Construction Law Ultimate Boot Camp Webinar: NBI (National Business Institute) Continuing Legal Education
- 2016 – NUCA Business Journal (Fall 2016): “Your Legal Rights Following an OSHA Citation” Legal Rights Following OSHA Citation
- 2016 – NUCA Business Journal (January 2016): “Know Your Rights and Obligations That Protect You From Bearing Design Defect Costs” NUCA Journal January 2016
- 2015 – Advanced Construction Contract Law Webinar: NBI (National Business Institute) Continuing Legal Education
- 2015 – NUCA Fall Leadership Conference Speech: “Owners’ Growing Attempts to Contractually Disclaim Liability for Defective Design”
- 2015 – AGC – MnDOT Transportation Construction and Grading Innovations Technology Forum: “What Can Be Done to Stop Road Settlement”
- 2015 – MUCA Underground Press (Fall 2015): “When the Street Settles: Owners Trying to Contract Away Liability for Defective Design” MUCA Fall Article 2015 by Tom Olson
- 2014 – NUCA Fall Leadership Conference Speech: “What are Differing or Changed Site Conditions and the Applicable Contract Provisions””
- 2014 – NUCA Business Journal Article: “Differing Site Conditions: Getting Paid for Additional Compensation and Time” Differing Site Conditions-NUCA Business Journal Fall 2014-
- 2014 – NUCA Business Journal (Summer 2014): “Contractor Recourse for Late Utility Relocation” NUCA Journal Article Summer 2014 in print
- 2014 – NUCA Business Journal (Spring 2014): “Take Control of Project Change Costs by Doing What the Contract Says” NUCA Business Journal Spring 2014-Take Control
- 2014 – MUCA Underground Press (Fall 2014): “When the Street Settles: Who Should Pay for the Cost to Repair?” MUCA Underground Press Fall 2014-When Street Settles
- 2014 – NUCA National Convention Speech: “Underdesigned Projects are Here to Stay: A Roadmap for Having the Owners Bear the Risk, Expense and Delay Instead of You”
- 2014 – MUCA Speech: “Underdesigned Projects are Here to Stay: A Roadmap for Having the Owners Bear the Risk, Expense and Delay Instead of You”
- 2014 – NUCA of Nebraska Speech: “Blueprint for Managing Change”
- 2013 – AGC of Nebraska Speech: “Transforming the Construction Industry by Having Contractors, Owners and Engineers do what the Contract Says”
- 2013 – NUCA National Convention Speech: “Lessons Learned: 18 Legal Issues Solved on a Combined Open-Cut-Tunneling Job”
- 2013 – MUCA Speech: “Managing a New Relationship with Project Changes”
- 2013 – NUCA of Nebraska Speech: “Transforming the Construction Industry by Having Contractors, Owners and Engineers Do What the Contract Says”
- 2013 – AGC of Nebraska Convention: “Transforming the Construction Industry by Having Contractors, Owners and Engineers Do What the Contract Says”
- 2013 – NUCA of Iowa Annual Banquet: “Transforming the Construction Industry by Having Contractors, Owners and Engineers Do What the Contract Says”
- 2012 – Half Moon, LLC, Continuing Legal Education Workshop: “Making Changes During the Construction Process”
- 2012 – NUCA of Iowa Speech: “Managing a New Relationship with Project Changes: a Partner for Profit”
- 2012 – NUCA National Convention Speech: “Managing a New Relationship with Project Changes: a Partner for Profit”
- 2011 – AGC of Iowa Convention Speech: “Managing Project Changes for Profit”
- 2010 – AGC of North Dakota Convention Speech: “Managing Project Changes for Profit”
- 2010 – AGC of Nebraska Convention Speech: “Managing Project Changes for Profit”
- 2010 – AGC of South Dakota Convention Speech: “Managing Project Changes for Profit”
- 2008 – AGC of South Dakota Convention Speech: “Differing Site Conditions and Utility Related Extra Costs”
- 2007/2006 – MUCA Speech: “Utility Related Extra Costs”
- 2006 – Indian Health Service OEHE Workshop: “Managing/Negotiating Project Changes”
- 2005 – USDA Rural Development Engineer Conference Speech: “Contractors Side of the Fence”
- 2005/2004 – MUCA Speech: “Building and Updating a Schedule”
- 2003/2002/2001 – Nominated for “Super Lawyer” in Minnesota Construction Law
- 2002/2001 – Private Instructor: “Analyzing/Documenting Job Changes”
- 2001 – AGC of America-1st Highway Contractors Issues Meeting Speech: “DBE Legal Challenge”
- 2001 – AGC of Nebraska State Convention Speech: “DBE Legal Challenge”
- 2001 – AGC of North Dakota Annual Convention Speech: “DBE Legal Challenge”
- 2000 – DAPA Speech: “Getting Paid for Project Changes”
- 2000 – Lorman Education Services – “Construction Contracting for Public Entities in Minnesota: Scheduling and Job Coordination”
- 2000 – Selected as a “Super Lawyer” in Minnesota Construction Law by Minnesota Journal of Law and Politics
- 1999 – AGC National Mid-Year Meeting Speech: “DBE Legal Challenge”
- 1999 – MAPA Annual Meeting Speech: “Construction Management”
- 1998 – MUCA Speech: “Jobsite Documentation”
- 1998/1997 – AGC of Minnesota Annual Convention Speech: “Jobsite Documentation/DBE Requirements”
- 1998/1997 – MUCA Speech: “Construction Scheduling and Job Coordination”
- 1998/1997 – AGC of Minnesota: “Construction Scheduling and Job Coordination”
- 1997 – Minnesota ABC Seminars – “Construction Changes”
- 1996 – AGC of Minnesota Speech: “Documenting/Job Changes”
- All courts of the State of Minnesota
- All courts of the State of Iowa
- All courts of the State of Nebraska
- All courts of the State of North Dakota
- All courts of the State of South Dakota
- United States District Court for the District of Minnesota
- United States District Court for the District of Northern Iowa
- United States District Court for the District of Southern Iowa
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- National Utility Contractors Association (Board Member 2014-present)
- National Utility Contractors Association (Trenchless Technology Committee 2012-present)
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- American Concrete Paving Association (ACPA)
- Concrete Paving Association of Minnesota (CPAM)
- Construction Law Section, Minnesota State Bar Association
- Minnesota Association of General Contractors (AGC)
- Minnesota Utility Contractors Association (MUCA) (Board Member 2003-2005)
- Gopher State One Call Statute Advisory Committee (Helped Pass One Call Statute)
- Minnesota Asphalt Pavement Association (MAPA)
- Dakota Asphalt Pavement Association (DAPA)
- North Dakota AGC (DOT Specifications Committee 2008-Present)
- South Dakota AGC (Concrete Paving and Municipal Utilities Committees 2007-Present)
- Nebraska AGC (Paving, Utility and Grading Committees 2009-Present)
- Iowa AGC (Specifications Committee 2009-Present)
- Colorado NUCA (Government & Industry Committee 2012-Present)
- Hamline University School of Law, Juris Doctor (1985)
- Tom has been a meticulous, thorough writer and editor since law school, where he was an editor of Law Review.
- Tom honed his ability to think quickly as a member of the Mock Trial and Moot Court Teams.
- After graduating, Tom continued to contribute his skills as an advocate and a mentor by serving as an adjunct professor of trial skills (1986-1994).
- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, B.A. Political Science (1982)
- Geopier Soil Reinforcement Technical Training, Phoenix, AZ (2011)
- AAA Arbitrator Training (2006)
- AAA Arbitrator II Workshop (2002)
- AAA Arbitrator Update (2002)
- AAA Construction Industry Arbitrator Training (1998)
- University of Georgetown Center of Strategic and International Studies (1990)
Anna Gierke, Attorney
Anna is a committed advocate who has exceptional attention to detail and a strong ability to understand relevant facts, contract rights and law. Anna has experience assisting with matters involving unmarked utilities, differing site conditions, site access, implied contractual duties, and the Disadvantaged Business Enterprise program. Using a pragmatic approach, Anna is able to evaluate construction issues and assist clients to resolve matters quickly and cooperatively.Read more
Prior to joining Olson Construction Law, Anna was a judicial extern for the Honorable John R. Tunheim, United States District Court, District of Minnesota. Anna also served as a law clerk at the firm before she was promoted to the position of Associate Attorney.
- University of Minnesota Law School, Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
- Macalester College, B.A. Psychology, Magna Cum Laude
- Soil Engineering for Non-Soils Engineers and Technicians, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Rielly Lund, Attorney
Rielly is a committed advocate for contractors, with the ability to quickly and accurately analyze a client’s issue within the parameters of each specific contract. Rielly works with contractors through all stages of construction, from bidding to acceptance, with the goal of minimizing risk and maximizing profits for contractors. With this in mind, Rielly enjoys discussing various contractual requirements with contractors before issues arise, so they are best able to meet any challenges head on.Read more
In his spare time, Rielly enjoys spending time outdoors hunting, fishing, golfing, or just relaxing with friends. Rielly served as a law clerk at the firm before he was promoted to the position of Associate Attorney. During law school, among many other activities, Rielly was also the student liaison to the American Bar Association Forum on Construction Law.
- Mitchell Hamline School of Law, Juris Doctor, Magna Cum Laude
- University of Minnesota Duluth, B.A. Criminology and Sociology
Jason Dzurik, Law Clerk
Jason assists attorneys with legal research and analysis, and reviewing and summarizing case materials. His keen eye for detail benefits both the firm and its clients. Jason began working in residential construction in 2006 assisting project supervisors and project managers, quickly moving up to a lead carpenter. While at St. John’s University, Jason realized how the law affects individuals in all aspects of life and decided to pursue a legal career.Read more
While finishing his undergraduate degree, Jason volunteered at Central Minnesota Legal Services where he assisted attorneys in providing legal services to underprivileged clients. After completing his undergraduate degree, Jason enrolled at Mitchell Hamline School of Law, where he continues to advance his education and volunteers with the Minnesota State Bar Association and the Minnesota Justice Foundation. Jason was also selected as a Marshall Brennan Fellow to teach students in the Saint Paul School District about the structure of government and the Constitution. Jason is a proud member of the 2012-13 championship hockey team from Saint John’s University.
- Mitchell Hamline School of Law, Juris Doctor anticipated May 2019
- Saint John’s University, B.A. Political Science
Quincy Curry, Accounting Manager
Quincy has worked with the firm since 2003, when she started as a legal assistant. Since that time, Quincy has consistently demonstrated her commitment to excellent work and improved client service. As a result, Quincy is now the go-to person for all client inquiries related to billing, accounts, and other business questions. Quincy’s patient and positive personality are a key component to OLSON CONSTRUCTION LAW’s commitment to continually improve client service.
As part of Quincy’s role, she is also responsible for managing vendor services, assisting with the financial operation of the firm, managing accounts receivable, providing financial information to attorneys, and assisting with the firm’s organization of charitable initiatives on a regular basis.
University of St. Thomas, B.A. Elementary Education/Communication
Rosanne Petersen, Office Manager & Legal Administrative Assistant
Rosanne joined the firm in 2011 as Office Manager. Prior to joining Olson Construction Law, Rosanne was a legal assistant and executive assistant in the fields of law, education, and business. Rosanne works closely with all attorneys and staff to ensure efficient client service and administrative operations, utilizing her experience, organizational skills and positive attitude.
Anoka Technical College, Legal Secretarial Certificate